Over in Sydney Australia television news reports stated that a 62-year-old man who allegedly put highly corrosive acid inside a lubricant dispenser at a gay cruise nightclub was arrested and charged.
According to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation the incident occurred on Saturday at Aarows bar in Sydney.
Hydrochloric acid can cause immediate and severe damage on contact.
New South Wales police confirmed a man was arrested and charged.
“Following a number of similar incidents, items in the room had been alarmed to alert security officers if they were tampered with,” they said in a statement.
It added that an alarm sounded and security detained the man before the police showed up.
One patron interviewed by the ABC on Sunday said the act was “sick”.
“Hydrochloric acid is not the best sort of thing to be playing with,” he told the broadcaster.
The man, who has not been named, was charged with administering poison intended to injure, cause distress or pain.
He has also been charged with entering a building with intent to commit an offence and malicious damage.
The 62-year-old was granted conditional bail and is set to appear at Parramatta Local Court next month.
Watch the TV news report below: