Health4Men specialises in healthcare for men who have sex with men (MSM). The sexual health needs of men who have sex with men (MSM) are notoriously neglected, making them a most-at-risk group (MARP) or key population in the HIV epidemic. Health4Men provides services to improve the health of this marginalised group. Health4Men was founded in 2008 in partnership with the Western Cape Department of Health with support from PEPFAR/USAID. The project has developed a template for sexual healthcare for men who have sex with men(MSM) which has been replicated in all provinces
Health4Men provides extensive clinical services at the Ivan Toms Centre for Men’s Health in Green point and at Khayelitsha Men’s Clinic at Site C. Services include:
- FREE and confidential HIV screenings. If you do test positive we’ll also do CD4 testing and counsel you on your healthcare needs, and provide as much support as you need.
- FREE antiretroviral treatment (ARVs).
- PEP (Post Exposure Prophylaxis) is treatment given to someone who has had a high risk exposure to HIV infection. It must be started within 72 hours of the exposure.
- PrEP (Pre Exposure Prophylaxis). ARVs negative men can take to prevent HIV transmission
- FREE screenings and treatment for sexually transmitted infections such as syphilis, gonorrhoea, chlamydia and genital or anal warts.
- Psychiatric services
- Same sex couple counselling
- TB screening
- Adherence counselling
- Harm Reduction services for recreational drug users
Other services include:
- FREE provision of Extra Large and Extra Strong Health4Men branded condoms and lube
Community Outreach: The Health4Men Outreach team undertakes diverse community interactions with local MSM, including HIV Counselling and Screening in various locations around Cape Town to promote the public accessing Voluntarily Counselling and HIV
- Testing and early access to care
Training of health care providers and clinicians at public health facilities in partnership with the Western Cape Department of Health.
- The aim is to sensitise health care workers to the needs of MSM clients and to refer them to our clinics if necessary. This is done through an innovative process of psychosocial sensitisation, medical training and on-going mentoring of target sites, followed by on-going technical support.
Use your cell phone to get topical HIV and STI-related info for men who have sex with men. Discreet and confidential information instantly.
We the Brave Campaign
We the Brave is Health4Men’s edgy new sexual health awareness campaign, sponsored by the Elton John AIDS Foundation