Magnificent Morgan McMichaels Makes South African Debut
The team who brought Dusty Ray Bottoms to our shores last month is doing it again in February. The second RuPaul’s Drag Race star to perform in South Africa this year is the magnificent Morgan McMichaels, who competed in Season 2 of the drag reality show, and who made a reprise on Season 3 of All Stars last year. While she did not win either competition, she quickly became a fan favourite known for her sass, competitive nature, talent and authenticity.
So what do we need to know about Morgan McMichaels?
- Thomas White, was born in was born in Loch Lomond, Scotland in 1981, to a Scottish father and an American mother. He moved to the United States when he was 18 years old. Two years later in Southern California, he created Morgan McMichaels. The name pays homage to her Scottish roots. The ‘Morgan’ aspect of the name comes from Morgan le Fay, a powerful enchantress that appears in Arthurian legend. The ‘McMichaels’ is a tribute to his drag mother, Chad Michaels, who taught him everything she knows about drag. Her trademark Tartan appears prominently in many of her costumes
- She’s Bit of a Music Video Star. Back in August 2013, Lady Gaga filmed the video for her single Applause at Mickey’s, a popular drag bar in West Hollywood. Some of LA’s finest drag artists including Raven, Detox, Shangela and Miss McMichaels herself appear in the video with Gaga.
- She is a big supporter of and activist for LGBT rights, often involved with sending support to victims of hate crimes with the help of her fans whom he refers to as Morgasms. Not only does she perform at regular charity events, but she also has dreams of setting up her own home for homeless LGBTQ+ teens. In an interview, she said: “That would be a dream for me. A place for the kids to live so they can go to school and take care of their education. It would be amazing!”
- She’s a Performing Icon. Anyone who has had the chance to visit Mickey’s bar or watch any of her performances on YouTube will know that Morgan is a regular host and performer at the West Hollywood bar. Morgan is a crowd favourite and is best known for her chameleon like ability to transform into celebrities such as Pink, Joan Collins, Boy George, and David Bowie.
- Like every other queen who has competed in RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 2, the show opened a lot of doors for Morgan, including the opportunity to perform alongside Lady Gaga and Pink, and to be featured on Wow Presents, Drag U, Bravo Television, Entertainment Tonight, and Germany’s Next Top Model.
Now South Africa fans will be able to see Morgan McMichaels in the flesh in live performances at Babylon -The Jo’burg Bar as well as Zer021 Social Club in Cape Town, courtesy of S & S Productions and MVT Productions. The Cape Town performance will part of the Cape Town Pride festivities. True to their word, the promoters will be featuring local drag queens at both venues as supporting acts giving the South African queens the opportunity to share a stage with an International Performer.
Friday, 18th 22nd February 2019. Doors Open at 8.00pm
Babylon the Jo’burg Bar – Illovo Muse Centre, 198 Oxford Rd.
Tuesday 26th February 2019
Zer021 Social Club, Canterbury Rd, District 6
Support Acts: Emogen Moore and Ina Propriette.
Tickets for both performances are on pre-sale for R150 booked in advance and R200 at the door. There are limited Meet and Greet Tickets at R350 each but they must be booked in advance. Tickets are available through www.howler.co.za